Are you a consultant or other entrepreneur? If so, you know that you can improve your visibility, marketing, and selling by writing. Writing articles and books can help people look for you, your ideas, products and services.
You sell yourself through your writing.
Does this describe your writing experience so far:
- You know what you want to say, and you’re not sure how to say it.
- You look at a blank page and wonder, “What the heck should I say?”
- You’ve started any number of articles or books and haven’t finished any or enough.
- You have articles, and you’re not sure where to place them for maximum effect.
If so, this workshop is for you.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Week 1: Benefits of writing. How to make writing a habit. How to improve your writing throughput.
- Week 2: How to decide what to write about. How to structure an article. What great articles look like.
- Week 3: The difference between writing and editing. Tools to make editing easier. The value of other people as reviewers.
- Week 4: Build empathy with your readers.
- Week 5: How to get published. Benefits of publishing your work yourself. Benefits of publishing on other sites. How to approach people to place your writing.
- Week 6: Tips and traps. How to find accountability for yourself.
- Final coaching and debrief.
This workshop starts on a Monday. For the Q3 2021 workshop, the dates are:
- July 12, 2021: Last day to send me your pre-work. Week 1 starts. Watch the videos. Send me your homework by July 17, midnight Eastern.
- July 19, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 2 starts. Watch the videos. Send me your homework by July 24, midnight Eastern.
- July 26, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 3 starts. Send me your homework by July 31, midnight Eastern.
- August 2, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 4 starts. Send me your homework by August 7, midnight Eastern.
- August 9, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 5 starts. Send me your homework by August 14, midnight Eastern.
- August 16, 2021: Coaching call at 12 pm Eastern. Week 6 starts. Send me your homework by August 21, midnight Eastern.
- August 23, 2021: Final coaching call, 12pm Eastern. Final debrief.
- 6 weeks of self-paced lessons with a writing assignment each week.
- Private feedback from me on your writing each week, if you want it.
- No group critique. None of that here. You can ask for feedback from your cohort once all of you learn how I offer feedback.
- Writing prompts, if you need them.
- 7 cohort-based debriefing and coaching sessions.
- Lifetime access to all the class recordings plus the cohort-based debriefing and coaching sessions.
- Your private writing cohort with the people who register for this workshop.
- Lifetime access to my private Slack community of writers who have studied with me before. Many of them continue to write and publish. You can become part of a community of successful writers.
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your tough problems. She helps leaders and teams do reasonable things that work. Equipped with that knowledge, they can decide how to adapt their product development.
Johanna started to write in 1997, and it felt like pulling teeth—but worse. She continued to evolve her writing "system" and has since published hundreds of articles and the books below. She was a technical editor for an online magazine for six years and has shepherded experience reports for seven years.
Johanna is the author of these books:
- Successful Independent Consulting: Relationships That Focus on Mutual Benefit
- Free Your Inner Nonfiction Writer
- The Modern Management Made Easy triad
- Write a Conference Proposal
- From Chaos to Successful Distributed Agile Teams (with Mark Kilby)
- Create Your Successful Agile Project: Collaborate, Measure, Estimate, Deliver
- Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects, 2nd edition
- Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
- Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding the Value in Your Project Portfolio (with Jutta Eckstein)
- Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Project Schedule or Cost
- Manage Your Job Search
- Hiring Geeks That Fit
- The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
In addition to the books, Johanna has published hundreds of articles and blog posts. See her blogs at jrothman.com and createadaptablelife.com.