Do you want to help people understand what you see in your organization or with your clients? Sure, speaking works. But as soon as you've said it—poof—the words vanish.
Speaking isn't enough for you. It's time to add writing to your skills. But you haven't made friends with writing yet.
You can learn to write. And write well. (And since you don't have a ton of time, write fast.)
Does this describe your writing experience so far:
- You know what you want to say, and you're not sure how to say it.
- When you offer other people your writing, you don't receive feedback.
- You look at a blank page and wonder, "What the heck should I say?"
- People say, "Sorry, I couldn't quite get through this."
- You say to yourself, "Who wants to hear from me? Surely, someone else has already said this."
- You've started any number of articles or books and haven't finished any or enough.
- You have articles, and you're not sure where to place them for maximum effect.If so, this workshop is for you.
If so, this workshop is for you.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Week 1: Benefits of writing. How to make writing a habit. How to improve your writing throughput.
- Week 2: How to decide what to write about. How to structure an article. What great articles look like.
- Week 3: The difference between writing and editing. Tools to make editing easier. The value of other people as reviewers.
- Week 4: Build empathy with your readers.
- Week 5: How to get published. Benefits of publishing your work yourself. Benefits of publishing on other sites. How to approach people to place your writing.
- Week 6: Tips and traps. How to find accountability for yourself.
- Final coaching and debrief.
This workshop starts on a Monday. Each week, the videos are available on a Monday. Your homework is due to me six days later, by Saturday, midnight Eastern.
The Q1 2022 workshop starts Jan 10, 2022 and lasts through Feb 21, 2022. The specific dates are:
- Jan 10, 2022: Last day to send me your pre-work. Week 1 starts. Watch the videos. Send me your homework by Jan 15, midnight Eastern.
- Jan 17, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 2 starts. Watch the videos. Send me your homework by Jan 22, midnight Eastern.
- Jan 24, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 3 starts. Send me your homework by Jan 29, midnight Eastern.
- Jan 31, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 4 starts. Send me your homework by Feb 5, midnight Eastern.
- Feb 7, 2021: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 5 starts. Send me your homework by Feb 12, midnight Eastern.
- Feb 14, 2022: Coaching call at 12pm Eastern. Week 6 starts. Send me your homework by Feb 19, 2022.
- Feb 21, 2022: Final coaching call and debrief.
Here's what you get for your registration:
- 6 weeks of self-paced lessons with a writing assignment each week.
- Private feedback from me on your writing each week, if you want it.
- No group critique. None of that here. You can ask for feedback from your cohort once all of you learn how I offer feedback.
- Writing prompts, if you need them.
- 7 cohort-based debriefing and coaching sessions.
- Lifetime access to all the class recordings plus the cohort-based debriefing and coaching sessions.
- Your private writing cohort with the people who register for this workshop.
- Lifetime access to my private Slack community of writers who have studied with me before. Many of them continue to write and publish. You can become part of a community of successful writers.
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your tough problems. She helps leaders and teams do reasonable things that work. Equipped with that knowledge, they can decide how to adapt their product development.
Johanna started to write in 1997, and it felt like pulling teeth—but worse. She continued to evolve her writing "system" and has since published hundreds of articles and the books below. She was a technical editor for an online magazine for six years and has shepherded experience reports for seven years.
Johanna is the author of these books:
- Become a Successful Consultant: Share Your Expertise for Mutual Profit
- The Modern Management Made Easy triad
- Write a Conference Proposal
- From Chaos to Successful Distributed Agile Teams (with Mark Kilby)
- Create Your Successful Agile Project: Collaborate, Measure, Estimate, Deliver
- Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects, 2nd edition
- Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
- Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding the Value in Your Project Portfolio (with Jutta Eckstein)
- Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Project Schedule or Cost
- Manage Your Job Search
- Hiring Geeks That Fit
- The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management